Have questions about your career development? No matter if its guidance on choosing a major, exploring your career options, help with the job search or gaining experience while in college with an internship or co-op and more, the Career Coaches at the University Career Center are here to help!
In addition to appointments, our drop-in hours offer no-appointment necessary assistance with additional topics including:
- Resume Reviews
- Cover Letter Assistance,
- Interviewing Tips
- LinkedIn Profile guidance
Career Coaching is available to all students and alumni, from as soon as you're admitted to the University, through your time on-campus, continuing through graduation and beyond.
Virtual and In-person Appointments
For Fall 2020, Coaches are available for appointments virtually (via Zoom), phone appointments as well as in-person appointments for students who are unable to use a virtual or phone appointment. When scheduling your appointment, choose the Location you prefer, either at the University Career Center for in-person appointments or Virtual/Phone appointments. For Virtual/Phone appointments, you'll check in to our website to connect with your coach. Detailed instructions for connecting with your coach will be provided by e-mail.
Who should I see?
Coaches are organized around our career communities, allowing you to chat with a coach who matches a community you're interested in. When making your appointment, pick a topic such as "talk with a Business, Financial Services & Logistics career coach" or "talk with an Arts, Media & Design career coach". Not sure what you're interested in? That's okay! The exploring community is here for you.
Examples of coaching topics include:
- exploring your career options and communities
- choosing a major
- gaining experience through internships, co-ops or volunteering
- finding a job or planning for further education
- Mock Interviewing
- Discussing a career assessment
Make an Appointment
Students can make an appointment through their Hire-A-Niner account. Click the button to the right to login and make an appointment.
Alternatively, once logged in, from the Hire-A-Niner student homepage, Choose Make an Appointment on the menu on the left side of the page.
Recent alumni can make an appointment through your Hire-A-Niner account.
Alumni 5+ years beyond graduation should e-mail Jessie Simonik (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an appointment or arrange a virtual session.
Newly Admitted Students
Newly admitted students can utilize drop-in services as soon as 72 hours after they have accepted their admission. Drop in to review your resume or explore all of the services that the UNC Charlotte Career Center can offer you during your time here.
Career Coaching services will become available once your Hire-A-Niner account is set up after you register for classes.
What to expect during your coaching appointment?
- Sessions are about you and what is important for you.
- Progress is made through active participation on your part. Come to the University Career Center ready to work and with your thoughts and ideas on your career goals!
- You are the expert on YOU. Your Career Coach is the expert on the career planning process. Our job is to help you plan effectively and to find the information necessary to make informed decisions about your career.
- Our Career Coaches are trained to provide you with new tactics, strategies, and ideas to help you build your career.
- Punctuality Matters! If you are more than 10 minutes late to a career coaching session you may be asked to reschedule
What NOT to expect:
- We are not able to provide you with an exact list of employers, graduate programs, or jobs that are a "fit" for you. Instead, we can provide you with the resources to help you develop your own strong list.
- We do not have a "test" that will tell you what to do with your career or can we tell you what path to take. We have strategies and resources for exploring the many options you have and the paths to take to reach your career goals.
- Your academic advisor is a trained professional that can assist you with your course selection and other parameters about changing majors.
- We do not write your resume for you. Instead, we provide you with a number of resources to build your marketing brand and Career Team members on staff to provide review and formatting suggestions.