In general, a practice interview is a professional development opportunity for you to gain feedback on your interview skills and resume from Employers, Career Coaches, Alumni, and More! Take the next step in preparing yourself for an internship, scholarship, job interview or continuing your education. There are many different formats to a practice interview based on industry, type of interview and the person conducting the practice interview. Read about the types of practice interviews offered here at UNC Charlotte as well as other useful tips!
- Login to Hire-A-Niner
- Click the “Events” section
- Click “Career Events”
- Select Practice Interview as Program Type
- Click Employer and Sign Up!
Make sure you have an approved resume in Hire-A-Niner!
At UNC Charlotte the practice interview will consist of a 30-minute meeting with a recruiter from a company/organization. The practice interview will last for 20 minutes and for the final 10 minutes, the employer will give you feedback on both your resume and your interview skills. This program is a great way to network with employers and fine-tune your interview skills, while hopefully being a stepping-stone to finding your next opportunity. We offer both campus and virtual practice interviews.
Past employer partners have included: Google, The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Manhattan Theatre Club, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Wells Fargo, Autism Charlotte, Clark Nexsen, Rock Hill Police Department, Charlotte Agenda, Moses Cone Health System, The Schiele Museum of Natural History, KPMG, Seacrest Studios and many more!
You can make an appointment with your Career Coach to gain feedback on your interview skills.
The University Career Center offer practice interviews in person, virtually and via telephone. Please note what type of interview and any other relevant information in the comments section of your appointment request. Please send your resume to your career advisor if it is not in Hire-A-Niner and come dressed to impress.
Your career advisor can also focus on a variety of industries and types of interviews.
Virtual Interview Tips
- Make sure that your technology is working properly. Test your internet connection, any programs you will need, and your web camera prior to your scheduled interview time. It is a good idea to check it the day before to ensure you have a day to fix any issues that may arise.
- Prepare your environment to look as professional as possible. Using a blank wall as your background is ideal, but if that is not possible, just use something that looks professional.
- Dress the same way you would for an interview that is in person. Avoid wearing bright colors or patterns, and extravagant jewelry.
- Body language is important. Sit up straight and look directly into the web camera. This will give the illusion that you are making eye contact with them. Avoid messing with the camera, slouching, and yawning during your interview.
Phone Interview Tips
- Keep your resume in clear view so it's at your fingertips when you need to answer questions.
- Have a pen and paper handy for note taking.
- Clear the room — evict the kids and the pets. Turn off the stereo and the TV. Close the door.
- Don't smoke, chew gum, eat, or drink.
- Keep a glass of water handy, in case you need to wet your mouth.
- Speak slowly and enunciate clearly.
- Use the person's title (Mr. or Ms. and their last name.) Only use their first name if they ask you to.
- Don't interrupt the interviewer.
- Take notes when possible on what questions came up.
- Remember your goal is to set up a face-to-face interview. At the end of your conversation, after you thank the interviewer, ask if it would be possible to meet in person.
All UNC Charlotte students and alumni can use Big Interview to conduct free, online practice interviews with a webcam.
Features and benefits of using Big Interview include:
- Convenience: You can practice online, any time of the day or night, from the comfort of your own room.
- Interview Questions Specific to your Field: You have the option of conducting an interview with questions that are specific to your future career field. Big Interview organizes practice interview questions by industry. This allows you to create your own practice interview related to Business, Education, Technology, Sciences, Healthcare, Communications, Art, Non-Profit, Social Services, Military, Recreation, and more.
- Interviewing Curriculum: Big Interview also offers videos to guide you through the interview process. Covering such topics as what questions to ask, how to prepare for an interview, how to stand out and more!
- Negotiating Your Salary: Nervous about after the interview and negotiating your salary? Big Interview has you covered with a video curriculum that takes you through the world of negotiating and how to come out with the best possible option.
- Getting Feedback: After you conduct a practice interview on Big Interview you will have a video of the entire interview that you can access later. You can send anyone (professors, family members, friends, mentors) the link to this video and ask for their feedback on your responses and nonverbal communication. You also have the option of reviewing the final video yourself and revisiting any of your responses to improve your performance. Send Your Video to Your Career Advisor today for feedback.
Alumni: Create Account and Login