Career Consultant Training Program
The University Career Center has created a formal training program to provide faculty and staff with the key strategies and techniques to work with UNC Charlotte students on their career development and management in a coaching role. Learn about common approaches, techniques, and strategies used by career development professionals at UNC Charlotte and across the nation from experts in the field. This program is intended to also provide campus colleagues with professional development to add to their own careers and additional training updates to continue their skill development in assisting students with their career development and management.
- Introduction to Career Development: learn more about what career development is and what it is not. Select theories will be discussed and their relevancy to the college population and UNC Charlotte. The “who, what, where, when, and why” of the University Career Center will be discussed.
- Six Tools of the Trade and the Coaching Model: this session will bring theory to process, explaining how to develop a structured mindset in working with our students. Common communication patterns, red flags, and coaching skills will be presented with time for practice.
- Strategies towards Career Goal Development: participants will incorporate theory and structured process into typical strategies in helping students understand their skills, experience, and knowledge and how it relates to career paths. A series of activities and coaching techniques will be presented and practiced to provide participants with hands on experience in using resources to work with students.
- The Effective Referral: our office maintains a number of resources and professionally trained staff members ready to assist students with a range of concerns and questions about their career path. Learn about these resources and how to connect students to additional assistance to prepare and connect them to opportunities.
Industry Guest Presenters: employers and alumni would welcome the opportunity to speak to your classes on a number of topics including job and industry information, as well as professionalism in the workplace. Our office provides services to our academic programs in searching for these unique presenters.
Career Events: in an effort to integrate career development into all aspects of a student’s university experience, our office is here to partner with you in the development of unique and sustainable programs and events. These might include networking events with alumni and employers, panel programs, or curriculum design. We offer the following services:
- Operations support such as room reservations, student registration, check-in service, and more.
- Marketing support to reach students, alumni, and employers in the field.
- Follow-up assessment from participants.